While bakeries might not have the same wear and tear as other food manufacturing facilities, specific flooring solutions and coatings are vital for all food manufacturing plants.
Determining the right type of flooring for a food and beverage customer is challenging when the facility has multiple production environments to contend with. “The fun part of our business is solving our customers’ flooring dilemmas, “says Amy Manghelli, President of Surface Solutions, Inc. “It’s like unraveling a complex puzzle and our team is excellent at finding the correct answer.”
Time to Make the Donuts
For industrial flooring experts like us, bakeries are always interesting projects. Nothing is as inviting as the smell of warm bread, cakes or the sweet essence of frostings and glazes. We’re not fooled by the mouth-watering aromas, though. There is a lot more going on in baked goods manufacturing facilities than simply making the donuts. From searing hot ovens to heavy forklifts on loading docks, something is always wearing away at the flooring surfaces. Not only must a bakery’s floor be indestructible, it must also meet the stringent standards of the FDA and USDA.
Qualities of an Excellent Bakery Floor
- Seamless and grout-free – The surface must be free of cracks and crevices where bacteria can grow.
- Made with non-toxic materials – The surface must be low-odor, non-tainting and safe to use around food and employees.
- Installs quickly – It should have a quick cure rate and minimum client downtime.
- Economical – The flooring does not have to be replaced as often due to the long-lasting properties of materials.
- Slip-resistant – To avoid safety hazards and protect workers, silica sand or other abrasives must be added to the flooring to give it texture.
- Withstands extreme temperatures – Floors in the oven area are exposed to high heat while the freezer is below 32-degrees.
- Stands-up to the stress of machinery – Repetitive heavy equipment traffic cracks the concrete and creates a breeding ground for bacteria. Crumbling flooring is a safety hazard.
- Protects against corrosion – Sugar is a highly corrosive ingredient and can eat away at the concrete topcoat. Bakery floors also are subjected to other corrosive ingredients like oils, cleaning chemicals and natural fruit acids.
- Resists health-threatening pathogens – Concrete surfaces can benefit from Polygiene® antimicrobial additives that fight bacteria and mold growth.
- Cleans easily – It must stand up to steam or hot water cleaning, detergents and frequent scrubbing. The floors must repel scuffs and stains.
High Performance Flooring for the Food & Beverage Industry
Surface Solutions is a specialist in high performance flooring for the Food & Beverage industry. With years of experience recommending the right options for our customers. Regular concrete flooring cannot withstand the punishment a facility like a bakery serves up. That is why Surface Solutions, Inc. chooses to use top quality products from industry-leading flooring solutions like BASF UCRETE® Flooring Systems and Flowcrete® Flooring Systems that are durable, environmentally-friendly and code compliant. From self-leveling base layers that fill and protect the substrate to seamless urethane resin topcoats that give contaminants nowhere to hide, our products are cutting edge, with limitless design choices like colors, textures, styles and applications. “Our clients in the food and beverage industry seek us out to help with their flooring issues,” Amy says. “They trust us to do a top-quality installation and provide a great-looking floor.”
For our bakery customers, that’s having their cake and eating it, too.
ABOUT SURFACE SOLUTIONS, INC.
Recognized as a top UCRETE® Master Contractor since 2012, Surface Solutions, Inc. is an independent industrial floor contractor specializing in seamless, polymer flooring systems utilizing the most trusted brands in the industry. As a Flowcrete STAR Contractor, Surface Solutions, Inc. is a leading provider of industrial flooring solutions for the Food & Beverage industry. From testing to consultation and complete installation services, Surface Solutions is your premier source of non-toxic, safe and environmentally friendly flooring systems, offering turnkey installations using only in-house personnel. All installations come with a complete single source warranty. To learn more about how Surface Solutions can help provide the highest quality industrial flooring solutions for your business, contact us today.